Wythenshawe Hall
Wythenshawe Hall is a 16th-century medieval timber-framed historic house and a former stately home in Wythenshawe, Manchester, England. It is located east of Altrincham and south of Stretford, five miles (8 km) south of Manchester city centre, in Wythenshawe Park.

The half-timbered Tudor house was the home of the Tatton family for over 400 years. It was built in about 1540 by Robert Tatton of Chester. During the English Civil War, the hall was unsuccessfully defended by Robert Tatton against Cromwell's forces. . After the war, the Tatton estate expanded to about 2,500 acres (10 km²). In 1924, Robert Henry Greville Tatton inherited the Wythenshawe estate and yielded to pressure from the then Manchester Corporation, who were in need of land for housing, and it became Manchester City Council property in 1926. What used to be farmland, grew into one of the largest housing estates in Europe. The hall has been used as a museum since 1930. However, the hall and 250 acres (1 km²) of land were bought by a benefactor and given to the City of Manchester "to be kept for ever as an open space for the people of Manchester." The park now houses, amongst other facilities, a community farm and a horticulture centre, to the east of the hall. Every June, there is a re-enactment of the siege of Wythenshawe Hall by Cromwell's troops during the winter of 1643. From 2007, in winter, the hall opened to Manchester Primary Schools to provide Literacy, History and Drama workshops for Tudor, Victorian and Literacy studies. These proved very popular and successful but were stopped through lack of funding in March 2010. Wythenshawe Hall's Home Farm was west of the hall. Some of its buildings survive as park maintenance buildings, but many were pulled down when the housing estates were built. The gatehouse at the north side of the park still stands. Wythenshawe Hall was listed as a Grade II* structure in 1952. Its former stable block, to the west of the hall, was Grade II listed in 1974. There is a statue of Oliver Cromwell, about 328 feet (100 m) east of the hall, which was Grade II listed in 1994. However the statue has not always been here: its original site was at the junction of Deansgate and Victoria Street in Manchester where it stood from 1875 until the 1970s. After being in storage for a number of years it was resited at Wythenshawe. The sculptor is Matthew Noble. Wythenshawe Hall - Opens Saturdays & Sundays for the summer season. Free.


3 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings removed 2 media and updated 2 media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator