Wyckoff-Bennett HomesteadEdit profile
Wyckoff-Bennett Homestead, located at 1669 E. 22nd Street in Brooklyn, New York, is a National Historic Landmark. It is believed to have been built before 1766. During the American Revolution, it housed Hessian soldiers, two of whom, Captain Toepfer of the Ditfourth regiment and Lieut. M. Bach of the Hessen-Hanau Artillerie, scratched their names and units into windowpanes.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976.
According to an embroidered needlepoint artwork currently on display in the main home building, it was owned and occupied by the Wyckoff Family from 1776 to 1835. The Bennett family owned and occupied it from 1835 to 1983, and the Mont family has owned and occupied it since 1983.
The property is one of the last privately owned Dutch Colonial houses in New York City. Starting sometime around the year 2000 the City of New York planned to buy the house and land from its present owners, Annette and Stuart Mont, who would have remained on the property rent-free but those plans have since fallen through.