Wrigley MansionEdit profile
The Wrigley Mansion in Phoenix, Arizona is a landmark residence built between 1929 and 1931 by chewing-gum magnate William Wrigley, Jr. It is also known as William Wrigley, Jr., Winter Cottage and as La Colina Solana. Located at 2501 East Telewa Trail, it sits atop a 100-foot (30 m) knoll with views of greater Phoenix to the south, close to the Arizona Biltmore Hotel, which Wrigley owned. Architect Earl Heitschmidt of Los Angeles designed the home at a cost of $1.2 million, in a combination of styles including Spanish Colonial. It has 24 rooms, 12 bathrooms, and over 16,000 square feet (1,500 m 2). Much of the extensive tilework was shipped to Phoenix from Wrigley's own factory in Catalina, hauled by mule to the site. The Wrigleys maintained other residences in Chicago; Philadelphia; Lake Geneva, Wisconsin; Catalina Island; and Pasadena, and used this, the smallest of their houses, for only a few weeks a year. William Wrigley died in 1932, shortly after its completion. The mansion was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. In July 1992, Geordie Hormel bought the mansion and made it available for meetings, conventions and similar functions. Due to zoning regulation, The Wrigley Mansion must operate as a private club. The annual membership fee is set at $10.00, which is donated in full to a local charitable organization. The annual dining membership entitles the member to frequent dining discounts, drink specials and invitations to special events. The mansion has been designated as a Phoenix Point of Pride.