Woodlawn PlantationEdit profile
Woodlawn Plantation is a historic home located in Fairfax County, Virginia, and was originally a part of Mount Vernon, George Washington's historic plantation estate.
Eleanor "Nelly" Parke Custis was Martha Washington's granddaughter and had been raised on the Mount Vernon estate as a part of the First Family. In 1799, George Washington gave his step-granddaughter, Eleanor (Nelly) Parke Custis, and his nephew Major Lawrence Lewis 2,000 acres (810 ha) of land as a wedding present. The President asked the distinguished architect Dr. William Thornton, architect of the U.S. Capitol, to design a home for the young newlywed couple.
Construction of the Woodlawn house began in 1800 and was finished in 1805. The main Woodlawn house is located on a hill, overlooking Mount Vernon, and the Mount Vernon home is visible from the Woodlawn house. Today, 126 acres containing the original house and surrounding gardens are all that remain of the original plantation. The remainder of the property was sold for development over the years. The Woodlawn Plantation is owned and operated as a museum by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, part of the National Trust Community Investment Corporation, and is open to the public throughout the year, with many special events occurring from April-October.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and designated a U.S. National Historic Landmark in 1998.
On the premises of the Woodlawn Plantation is also the site of the Loren Pope Residence, a Frank Lloyd Wright designed house.
The address is over 9000 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, Virginia. Laurie Ossman serves as the director of Woodlawn and of the Pope-Leighy house. Susan Hellman is the Deputy Director.