Women in Military Service for America MemorialEdit profile
The Women in Military Service for America Memorial is located at the Ceremonial Entrance to Arlington National Cemetery and honors all women who have served in the United States Armed Forces. New York architects Marion Weiss and Michael Manfredi, husband and wife, designed the memorial. Planning for the memorial began as early as 1985, with the groundbreaking occurring 10 years later on June 22, 1995. The Memorial was dedicated on October 18, 1997, and officially opened to the public on October 20, 1997.
The Ceremonial Entrance was originally dedicated in 1932, when the Arlington Memorial Bridge opened, but was never actually completed or maintained. It was modified to include a reflecting pool, engraved glass panels on its roof and other changes.
Inside is a museum area featuring exhibits on women in the military and military history, an education center and small theater.