Winterton Lighthouse
Winterton Lighthouse is located in Winterton-on-Sea in the English county of Norfolk .

A Lighthouse has been known to have stood in this location since the 17th century This first lighthouse was constructed between 1616 and 1618. this lighthouse was destroyed by fire and was rebuilt in 1687 and had an octagonal tower. This lighthouse was privately owned by the turner family. The owners were entitled to a penny for every ton for every ship that sailed within the light. The lighthouse can be seen clearly on Faden’s large-scale map (at one inch to the mile) of the county of Norfolk of 1779, and Bryant's map of 1826. In 1836 the lighthouse was bought out by Trinity House. During the 1914/1918 World War the present lighthouse became a military lookout post. Soon after, in 1921, the Lighthouse ceased operations. In 1921 the lighthouse and its cottage were turned into a private residence. The lantern was replaced by a circular observation room.

World War Two
The lighthouse was used as a military lookout post in During World War Two. At this time the tower was strengthened with Brick and concrete above the level of observation room and a gallery was added. The lighthouse was then used for observation for the Winterton Emergency Coastal Battery. The adjoining buildings were also used by the Coastal Battery’s garrison.

Post war period
After the war the lighthouse was the home of Viscount Elmley, M.P. for East Norfolk. In 1972 the lighthouse and cottage became part of the Hermanus holiday complex. In 2000 the lighthouse and cottage were sold again and is now two private dwellings, one in the tower, the other in the cottage.


2 photos