Winona County CourthouseEdit profile
The Winona County Courthouse in Winona, Winona County, Minnesota, U.S. is an historic Richardsonian Romanesque structure built in 1888. It was the first courthouse in Minnesota listed on the National Register of Historic Places, having been added in 1970. The original cost of the courthouse was $125,000.
From the 1970s to 2000, nearly $2.5 million was spent restoring and remodeling the building, but on September 3, 2000, the ceiling of a fourth floor courtroom collapsed and broke fire sprinkler pipes resulting in the flooding the building with over 4500 gallons of water and causing much other damage. The county offices were relocated to other buildings, and the building was again renovated to repair water damage and to bring the building up to current standards. Insurance paid for over half the cost of repairs, and the Minnesota Historical Society contributed $50,000 for exterior work. The renovation also returned much of the building to its original appearance, including even the old fireplaces. The total cost of interior renovation was $5.6 million, with another $1.5 million spent on external renovation.