Wimbledon Park is a London Underground station in Wimbledon. The station is on the District Line and is between Southfields and Wimbledon stations. The station is located on Arthur Road close to the junction with Melrose Avenue close to the eastern side of Wimbledon Park. It is about 200 m west of Durnsford Road ( A218) and is in Travelcard Zone 3.

History
The station was opened by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) on 3 June 1889 on an extension from Putney Bridge to Wimbledon. The extension was built by the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) which, starting on 1 July 1889, ran its own trains over the line from a connection at East Putney to its Clapham Junction to Barnes line. The section of the District Line from Putney Bridge to Wimbledon was the last part of the line to be converted from steam operation to electric. Electric trains began running on 27 August 1905. Mainline services through Wimbledon Park were ended by the Southern Railway (successor to the L&SWR) on 4 May 1941, although the line remained in British Rail ownership until 1 April 1994 when it was transferred to London Underground. Until the transfer, the station was branded as a British Rail station.

Future
Wimbledon Park is a proposed stop on the Chelsea-Hackney Line, also known as Crossrail 2. It is envisioned that the station's District Line service will be replaced by the new line.

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com