Willison railway station, Melbourne

Edit profile

Willison is a railway station on the Alamein railway line in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. It is located adjacent to Stodart Street, in the suburb of Camberwell near its border with Canterbury. It is located 10.9 km (6.8 mi) from Flinders Street Station in the centre of Melbourne and is in Metcard Zone 1.

In 2009 it was the third least used metropolitan railway station in Melbourne, with an average of 300 passenger boardings per day.

Station overview


Willison services a predominantly residential area. The nearest tram runs along Riversdale Road, which is closer to Riversdale station.

The station has two platforms located either side of the railway tracks, with weatherboard buildings on both platforms. As it is not a "premium station", it is unmanned, and has no open toilets or other facilities. It has a Telstra payphone located near the entrance to the outbound platform.

A large Metcard ticket vending machine is located at the entrance to platform 1, which is able to dispense most ticketing options available and also accepts notes and coins. A coin-only Metcard ticket vending machine is located at the entrance to platform 2. Myki ticket vending machines are located at entrances to platform 1 and platform 2.


While Willison was not part of the original Outer Circle line, it was built soon afterwards and opened on 8 June 1908, as part of the Deepdene Dasher service. This remnant of the Outer Circle went from Ashburton to Deepdene.

When it first opened, the station was known as Golf Links, and existed to serve the Riversdale Golf Club, which was originally adjacent to the site. It has been said that influential members of the club did not appreciate having to walk to either Riversdale or Hartwell stations, and pressed for a closer alternative. This may explain why Willison was built so close to Riversdale station - only 400 metres (1,300 ft) away.

The station was originally just a siding where members could embark after a game. The golf club moved from the site in 1927, and on 23 July 1936, the station was renamed Willison. By this time, the Deepdene Dasher service had ceased operations, and Willison was served only by the Ashburton line. Twelve years later, this was extended to Alamein - the service which still exists today.

Platforms, services and connecting tram service

Platform 1:

  • Suburban Metro Trains services to Flinders Street (Peak only).
  • Suburban Metro Trains services to Camberwell.

Platform 2:

  • Suburban Metro Trains services to Alamein.

  • Tram route 70 Docklands (Waterfront City) - Wattle Park via Harbour Esplanade, Flinders Street, Swan Street, Riversdale Road.


1 photo

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 7 media and uploaded a media file
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com