William Lloyd Garrison HouseEdit profile
The William Lloyd Garrison House is located at 125 Highland Street in the Roxbury section of Boston, Massachusetts. This two-story Greek Revival residence was the home of William Lloyd Garrison (1805–1879), leader of the anti-slavery cause in Boston and fiery editor of the uncompromising abolition journal The Liberator . The house, called Rockledge, was built in the 1840s, during Roxbury's early period of suburban growth. After seeing emancipation achieved, Garrison and his wife retired to his mansion in 1864 and lived there until his death. After Garrison's death, his house was owned for a time by the Rockledge Association, an organization of African Americans formed to preserve the building. In 1904, the house was acquired by the Episcopal Sisters of the Society of St. Margaret who own the property today. The house is a National Historic Landmark and is not open to the public.