William Gibbes House
The William Gibbes House, located at 64 South Battery, Charleston, South Carolina, was built for Mr. Gibbes between 1772 and 1788. The Smith family remodeled portions of the house in about 1800 in the Adamesque style including the marble steps in front. The cove-ceilinged ballroom is considered one of the most beautiful rooms in America. The wrought iron balustrade and lantern standards in front are considered among the best ironwork of the Adamesque period in Charleston. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970. The South Carolina Department of Archives and History declares it "is one of the finest two-story frame residences in America."