William G. LeDuc HouseEdit profile
The William G. LeDuc House, located at 1629 Vermillion Street in Hastings, Minnesota is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in over several years, and completed in 1865, by William G. LeDuc who came to Minnesota in 1850 from Ohio. He was an attorney who represented a party to a suit involving Vermillion Falls, 1,500 feet (457 m) southeast of the homesite. As payment for his services, Le Duc received the land where he built his house. Le Duc was a Civil War veteran and U.S. Commissioner of Agriculture under President Hayes (1877-1881).
The estate is an unusually complete example of the Carpenter Gothic style of Andrew Jackson Downing, a pioneer in American landscape architecture. William and (his wife) Mary LeDuc used Downing’s book, Cottage Residences, as inspiration for their home (Downing himself had died in 1852). The home was the first property to be acquired by the Minnesota Historical Society in the late 1950s but sat empty until 2005, when $1.2 million was raised to restore the home and grounds to their former glory.