William C. Boydell HouseEdit profile
The William C. Boydell House is a double house located at 4614 Cass Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.History
The double house was built in 1895 to resemble a large single-family residence by William C. Boydell (1849 -1902), a Detroit industrialist and vice president and treasurer of the Boydell Brothers White Lead and Color Company. The firm was founded by William's brother John and remained in the Boydell family until 1959.Architecture
The William C. Boydell House is a three-story double Beaux Arts house faced with brick and limestone, with a hipped roof. The facade, fronted with rock-faced terraces, is designed to look like that of a single-family dwelling. The fronts of the two units are unified in appearance by the us of a panelled, brick frieze at the eaves and banded limestone at the first story.