Will Rogers Memorial Hospital

Will Rogers Memorial Hospital is a historic tuberculosis sanatorium located at Saranac Lake in Essex County. It was built in 1928 by the National Vaudeville Artists association, who previously sent patients to the Kennedy Cottage. It is a three story, "T" shaped, steel frame and reinforced concrete structure above a raised basement. It is faced in stucco and decorative half-timber framing in the Tudor Revival style. It features asymmetrical massing, a four story polygonal tower with a hexagonal roof, and three story pavilions with recessed sleeping porches. It was named in honor of entertainer Will Rogers (1879-1935) in 1936 and provided unconventional tubercular treatment to entertainment industry patients from 1930 to 1974. It was briefly used as press headquarters for the 1980 Winter Olympics. It currently houses an independent living facility known as Saranac Village at Will Rogers.

It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com