Wharfedale HospitalEdit profile
Coordinates: 53°54′51″N 1°42′00″W / 53.9141°N 1.7001°W / 53.9141; -1.7001
Wharfedale Hospital (formerly known as Wharfedale General Hospital) is located in the market town of Otley, West Yorkshire, England, and is part of the Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
The current hospital, located off Newall Carr Road, cost £15 million to build and was opened on 26 January 2005 by HRH The Princess Royal. It provides in-patient beds for older patients and is a significant centre for day surgery, as well as housing a range of clinics and departments, including a Minor Injuries Unit.
The new building replaced the former Wharfedale Hospital on the same site which had origins going back to its formation as a workhouse in 1873. An infirmary with 70 beds was added in 1907 and was administered by the Wharfedale Board of Guardian until 1930. After 1938 it was known as Otley County Hospital and later Wharfedale General Hospital. In the 1990s it became clear the existing building was unsuitable for purpose.