Wetheral Priory GatehouseEdit profile
Wetheral Priory Gatehouse is almost all that remains of the Benedictine Wetheral Priory in Wetheral, Cumbria. Wetheral Priory, was founded in 1106 from its motherhouse of St. Mary's Abbey, York. The gatehouse is virtually the only standing remnant of the much grander Priory buildings, and was the main entry into the monastic outer court.
The building as seen today dates from the 15th century. It has a pair of domestic chambers on two floors above the main entrance way. These may have been accommodation for a Priory official or guest rooms for visitors or travellers. Some low ruined walls are still in place behind the farm buildings, but the rest of the priory was destroyed following the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII. The gatehouse survived as the vicarage to the local church, and is now in the care of English Heritage.