Western InfirmaryEdit profile
The Western Infirmary is a teaching hospital situated in the West End of Glasgow, Scotland. There is also a Maggie's centre at the hospital to help cancer patients, as well as the Glasgow Clinical Research Facility. In the 1870s, when the University of Glasgow moved from the city centre to the West End, distancing itself from the Royal Infirmary, a new teaching hospital was built in 1874 as part of the new university buildings . Initially only having 150 beds, by 1911 this had increased to over six hundred. A new two phase rebuilding programme was authorised in 1964 and the 256”“bed Phase 1 block was completed in 1974. After the completion of the nearby Gartnavel General Hospital in 1972, Phase 2 was indefinitely postponed in 1975 . The Western Infirmary opened as a voluntary hospital relying upon donations and bequests from members of the public , but in 1948 with the introduction of the National Health Service the Western came under the management of the Glasgow Western Hospitals Board of Management . In 2002, NHS Greater Glasgow announced the results of a three year consultation, the Greater Glasgow's Acute Services Review, wherein they outlined a £700 million modernisation plan for Glasgow's hospitals. As part of the plan, services will be transferred to expanded facilities at Gartnavel General Hospital and in 2013 the Western Infirmary will be shut down and the site redeveloped by the University of Glasgow.