West Virginia Independence HallEdit profile
West Virginia Independence Hall is located in Wheeling, West Virginia, where it was built in 1860, under the supervision of architect Ammi B. Young. During the American Civil War it housed the Wheeling Convention (1861) as well as the West Virginia Constitutional Convention (1863).
The building was originally built as the custom house for the Western District of Virginia and later became the center of government for the Restored Government of Virginia from 1861 to 1863.
It housed the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia from 1860 to 1864, then the District of West Virginia from 1864 to 1901, and finally the Northern District of West Virginia from 1901 to 1907.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1988.