West Quoddy Head Light

West Quoddy Head in Lubec, Maine is the easternmost point of the contiguous United States and the closest point to Europe from a point in the fifty States. West Quoddy Head overlooks Quoddy Narrows, a strait between Canada and the United States. Since 1808, there has been a lighthouse there to guide ships through the waterway. The current one, with distinctive red-and-white stripes, was built in 1858. Photographs and paintings of this lighthouse are frequently reproduced. The 3rd order Fresnel lens is the only 3rd order and one of only eight Fresnel lenses still in use on the Maine Coast.

West Quoddy Head Light was added to the National Register of Historic Places as West Quoddy Head Light Station on July 4, 1980, reference number 80004601.

History

A lighthouse at West Passamaquoddy Head, Maine, was authorized by Congress in 1806. The light station was finished on April 21, 1808, at a cost of $5,000. In 1820, Congress authorized the first fog signal at the station, a 500-pound bell, for a cost of $1,000. The current tower was built in 1858.

Keepers
  • The first keeper was Thomas Dexter.
  • 1939: Howard Grey was the last civilian keeper of the station prior to its transfer to the U.S. Coast Guard.
  • 1962: As of Aug. 15, 1962, BM1 Bruce Keene was OIC, or Officer-in-Charge (dates of the time he began and ended his tour are not known— he served at least through September 1964.) According to documents in the West Quoddy file, his father, LT Thomas Keene, had previously served as the head keeper of the light station.
  • 1963: As of Oct. 27, Keene was still OIC and (Engineman?) Richard Copeland was his assistant.
  • 1978: Through May 31 the OIC was BM1 Cliffton Scholfield. He had a crew of two assistants: MT2 Carl Hatch and MT# Davis Blanding.
  • 1978: On June 1, BM2 George Eaton took over as the OIC of the station. He had two assistants.
  • 1979: MK3 Carl Hatch was a member of the crew.
  • 1981: As of Sept. 14, the OIC was BM1 John Richardson.
  • 1988: The last OIC (keeper) was Malcolm Rouse, USCG.

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 8 media, updated a digital reference, uploaded a media file and added a digital reference
    yxfh west quoddy head light
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator