West Cornwall Covered BridgeEdit profile
The West Cornwall Covered Bridge (also known as Hart Bridge) is a wooden lattice truss bridge built over the Housatonic River in the town of Cornwall, Connecticut. It is estimated to have been built around 1864.Details
The covered bridge is 172 feet (52 m) long, 15 feet (4.6 m) wide and supports one lane of vehicle traffic for the Sharon-Goshen Turnpike (Connecticut Route 128). The bridge is built of red spruce timbers secured with treenails (wooden pegs). In 1973 the roadway was reinforced with the addition of a concealed steel deck.
The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Extensive repair was done to the floor of the bridge during the mid 1940's when a tanker truck carrying tar plunged through the flooring.
The bridge appeared in the opening scenes of the movie, Valley of the Dolls a 1967 American drama film based on the 1966 novel of the same name by Jacqueline Susann.