Weoley Castle
Weoley Castle is a district in south-west Birmingham, England. The area is in the Weoley local authority electoral ward, and also comes under the Northfield local council constituency. The suburb of Weoley Castle is bordered by Selly Oak to the east, Harborne to the north, Bartley Green to the west, and Weoley Hill and Shenley Green to the south. At its heart is the shopping area of Weoley Castle Square.

Etymology
The area takes its name from ruins of a moated and fortified manor house (SP021826), now owned by Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery. The castle ruins are a Grade II listed building, and the site became a Scheduled Ancient Monument in 1934. Between 1960 and 1961 excavations took place at Weoley Castle which unearthed a 13th century wooden building. The site is not open to the public.

History
Weoley Castle was mostly developed for council housing during the 1930s, and in 1935 the 10,000th council house in Birmingham was officially opened in Hopstone Road by the then Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain. This made Birmingham the first local authority in Britain to build 10,000 council properties - just 15 years after building its first.

Building Activity

  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com