Welsh-Ryan ArenaEdit profile
Welsh-Ryan Arena is an 8,117-seat multi-purpose arena in Evanston, Illinois. The arena opened in 1952 as McGaw Memorial Hall. It is home to the Northwestern University Wildcats basketball, volleyball and wrestling teams. It is located to the north of Ryan Field on the athletic campus, and also contains the stadium's field house. The arena hosted the NCAA Final Four in 1956. Patten Gymnasium, formerly located on the main campus at Northwestern, hosted the first NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament in 1939 and was later torn down in order to build the Technological Institute in its place, which was completed in 1942. A smaller Patten Gymnasium was built to the north of the original site, which still stands and is mostly used for student recreation, intramural sports, and club sports.
McGaw Memorial Hall was named in memory of the Rev Francis McGaw, a Presbyterian minister whose son, Foster McGaw donated the necessary funds. The arena itself was renamed following the 1982-83 renovations in honor of the principal donor, Patrick G. Ryan, president of the board of trustees, and his wife's parents, Mr. & Mrs. Robert J. Welsh, Sr.