Wedderburn Castle
Wedderburn Castle, near Duns, Berwickshire, in the Scottish Borders, is an 18th century country house. It is the historic family seat of the Home of Wedderburn family, cadets of the Home family (today Earls of Home).

Wedderburn Castle was designed and constructed 1771-5 by the famous architect brothers Robert Adam and James Adam, with the work superintendent being James Nisbet, for Patrick Home of Billie, who had already completed Paxton House (using James Adam and Nisbet, with Robert Adam doing the interiors c1773). Battlemented three-storey elevations in the typical Adam Castle style, the apparent symmetry conceals a rectangular courtyard, originally filled by the 17th century (or earlier) tower house, also known as Wedderburn castle, of which only a heraldic panel remains. It was demolished in the early 19th century leaving the courtyard, accessed through an archway at the back.

The approach
The castle is approached by way of the north or Lion Gate of 1794 (see photograph) and the long drive (leading from the West gate) which pass the 18th century stables (a square court entered through a pedimented archway) and the staff cottages before continuing to the castle. The West Gate is another archway but defined by screen walls and gabled lodges.

The castle interior
Entering the front of the castle through a large porch above which is the Home of Wedderburn coat of arms, there is a double staircase with an iron balastrade leading up to a balcony behind which is a long gallery connecting the drawing room and the dining room. Across the hall and above the front door is a long minstrel gallery again connecting the drawing room and the dining room. On the right of the staircase are the drawing room, and the morning room (previously the smoking room), beyonsd whic is the ballroom. There are several fine chimneypieces, the best being by Piranesi. To the left are the dining room, and a further staircase leading up to the bedrooms. The ground floor has a large kitchen and further bedrooms, originally for servants.

The owners
The Earls of Douglas had the feudal superiority of the lands of Wedderburn circa 1413, when Archibald Douglas, 4th Earl of Douglas granted them as a feu to "his esquire, David de Home". In a charter dated at Dunbar Castle February 29, 1413, George de Dunbar, Earl of March, confirmed the previous charter granted by "his beloved brother, Archibald, Earl of Douglas", the superiority having passed, by forfeiture, from the Dunbar family to Douglas. By 1550 the Homes had acquired the superiority of Wedderburn as is indicated by a Sasine in favour of David Home, brother-German and heir of George Home of Wedderburn, who was killed at the battle of Pinkie, where it is stated that the heir and his brother held it of the Crown in chief. Daughters of this branch of the Home family would keep Home and add it to their married name - hence subsequent generations of the family having variations including Foreman Home, Milne Home, Home Robertson and Home Miller. The current owner is David Home Miller, son of the previous owner, Georgina Home Robertson.

Building Activity

  • updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via Annotator
  • updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via