Wayne County Building
The Wayne County Building is a lowrise government structure in Detroit, Michigan. It stands at 600 Randolph Street, and contains the Wayne County administrative offices, and once contained its courthouse. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Detroit architect John Scott designed the building which stands 5 floors. Constructed from 1897 to 1902, it may be the nation's finest surviving example of Roman Baroque architecture, with a blend of Beaux-Arts and some elements of the neo-classical architectural style. It was built using copper, granite, and stone. The exterior architectural sculpture, including the Anthony Wayne pediment was executed by Detroit sculptor Edward Wagner. The bronze sculpture, two quadrigas, Victory and Progress and four figures on the tower, Law, Commerce, Agriculture, and Mechanics, were made by New York sculptor J. Massey Rhind.

Recent news
On July 18, 2007, Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano announced Wayne County had entered into an agreement to purchase the Guardian Building to relocate its offices from the Wayne County Building. This purchase would commence when the county's lease on their current home expires in 2008 and end a difficult tenant-landlord relationship between the owners and the County. The Detroit Free Press print edition on July 21, 2007, carried a front page article about the current landlord offering a reduced rate for the county to remain.

Description
  • The courthouse tower was originally 227' - 8 1/2" tall. The copper dome and spire were redone in the 1960s bringing its height to what it is today.
  • A renovation was carried out in 1986 by Quinn Evans Architects and Smith Hinchman & Grylls Associates.
  • The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
  • The height of the courthouse's tower is 247 feet.
  • The Wayne County Building is English Baroque in style, featuring a tall, four-tiered, hipped roof central tower balanced by end pavilions.
  • The exterior is profusely ornamented with sculpture; the interior is finished in a variety of woods, marbles, tiles, and mosaics.
  • Built with buff Berea Sandstone, the facade features a rusticated basement story and a balustrade between the third and fourth stories. At the main entrance, a broad flight of stairs leads up to a two-story Corinthian column portico.
  • Despite most Wayne County government offices having vacated this building for the modern Coleman A. Young Municipal Center a block west, the office of the executive of Wayne County is still located here.
  • The courthouse is faced in granite and sandstone with copper accents.


Photo gallery


Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com