Waterloo TunnelEdit profile
The Waterloo Tunnel in Liverpool, England is a former railway tunnel, 862 metres long, which opened in 1849. At its western end was Waterloo Goods railway station, with the line continuing beyond to Liverpool Riverside railway station after 1895, and onto the dock railway system. The eastern end opens into a short cutting, four tracks wide between Byrom Street and Fontenoy Street, which connects to the Victoria Tunnel, which emerges at Edge Hill station. Both tunnels closed on 19 November 1972. It is effectively one long tunnel from Edge Hill to Liverpool Waterloo Dock. The tunnels were given two different names because trains in one was cable hauled and in the other locomotive hauled. In October 2009 it was confirmed that the Byrom Street cutting was a hitching and unhitching point for trains being cable hauled to Edge Hill via the Victoria Tunnel. Shunting locomotives took trains from The Waterloo Good Station to the cutting to be hitched onto the cable. The Cutting was also a water and fuelling point for shunters. After 1895 cable hauling ceased and locomotives pulled trains the whole length of the Victoria and Waterloo tunnels. Byrom Street Cutting became a runaway catch point for runaway trains in the tunnel. Byrom Street cutting was never a passenger station. The Victoria and Waterloo tunnels were cleared of debris and reflectors placed on the roof after a survey of the tunnels. If the tunnels are ever reopended to passengers the Byrom Street cutting, being four tracks wide, is a candidate for a station.