Washington County Museum
Washington County Museum is a history museum located in unincorporated Washington County, Oregon, United States at Portland Community College's Rock Creek Campus. Opened in 1975, the museum is operated by the Washington County Historical Society with a mission of preserving the history of the area. Exhibits include the original Washington County Jail built in 1853.

In the 1930s, local historian Albert E. Tozier donated his collection of artifacts, books, maps, and other items to the county historical society. Beginning in 1939, the artifacts were displayed at Hillsboro's Carnegie Library. In 1956, the Washington County Historical Society was incorporated. In 1962, the society looked at using Shute Park as a possible home for their museum, which was not built at that time or at that location. However, the society temporarily moved their collections to the park's pavilion that year. Then in 1975 the county decided to start a formal history museum. From 1975 to 1987, Washington County owned and operated the museum. During that time the museum was in downtown Hillsboro, Oregon, at the Heidel Home. In 1982 a new museum was built at the Portland Community College campus at Rock Creek, and it opened in January 1983. Then in September 1987 the Washington County Historical Society took over operations at the museum. In 2007, the museum began a $1.7 million expansion of the facility to more than double the size of the museum. The museums annual fundraiser featured Oregon State Beavers basketball coach Craig Robinson as the master of ceremonies in 2009 and raised around $90,000 for the museum.

The museum received 5,000 visitors annually at the old 5,000-square-foot (460 m 2) facility. The renovated building now attracts nearly 1,700 as of 2008, and has a membership of 314 as of October 2009. Washington County Museum houses approximately 40,000 artifacts and receives another 500 pieces each year. The museum operates a small store in the lobby selling books about local history. There is also a research library with over 25,000 images, more than 1,400 maps, and over 500 books along with other historical records and newspapers.

Collections, exhibits, programs
One exhibit at the museum is the original Washington County Jail built in 1853. This structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places from 1986 until 2008. Previously located at the county fairgrounds, the structure was rehabilitated and moved to the museum in 2004. The 10-foot (3.0 m) by 16-foot (4.9 m) jailhouse is was originally located inside the museum, but was moved outside when the museum was expanded in 2007. Other artifacts in the collections range from everyday items such as sewing machines, to a wedding dress of a local prominent family. The museum's other exhibits include This Kalapuya Land that focuses on the Native Americans of the area, Washington County in a Nutshell that features artifacts from throughout the county's history, and a changing exhibit along with visiting collections. Visiting exhibits have included Oregon is Indian Country from the Oregon Historical Society, among others. Also, the museum partners with Print Arts Northwest to convert the lobby into an art gallery each month. Formerly, the museum hosted an annual plowing event named the Draft Horse Plowing Exhibition to demonstrate farming before mechanized agriculture. However, the event has moved to Champoeg State Park. Washington County Museum also educates the local community on the history of the county including use of a mobile museum.


2 photos