Warrington Transporter BridgeEdit profile
The Warrington Transporter Bridge (or Bank Quay Transporter Bridge) across the River Mersey is a structural steel transporter bridge with a span of 200 feet. It is 30 feet wide, and 76 feet above high water level, with an overall length of 339 feet. It was built in 1915 and, although it has been out of use since circa 1964, it is still standing.
It was originally one of two such bridges across the Mersey, the other one being the Widnes-Runcorn Transporter Bridge (built in 1905). It was designed by William Henry Hunter and built by William Arrol.
It is privately owned and was built to connect the two parts of the large chemical and soap works of Joseph Crosfield and Sons. It was originally used to carry rail vehicles up to 18 tons in weight, and was converted for road vehicles in 1940. In 1953 it was modified to carry loads of up to 30 tons.
The bridge has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building, and is a scheduled monument. Because of its poor condition it is on their Buildings at Risk Register.