Warlingham Park HospitalEdit profile
Warlingham Park Hospital was a psychiatric hospital in Warlingham, Surrey. It was located at grid reference TQ373595 in Chelsham.
It opened on 26 June 1903 as the Croydon Borough Asylum. It is recorded as having been a pioneering centre for psychosurgery.
In later years it concentrated on providing psychiatric care rather than being a home for people with mental retardation like the nearby St Lawrence's Hospital, Caterham.
The hospital closed in February 1999 and the archives were deposited with the Bethlem Royal Hospital which also became the primary provider of mental health care to residents of Croydon. The site has been redeveloped as an up-market housing estate called Greatpark.
The water tower and also the roundabout, formally known as "The Circle" is all that remains of the former hospital.