Wappingers Falls Village HallEdit profile
Wappingers Falls Village Hall is located at the corner of South Avenue ( NY 9D) and East Main Street in the Dutchess County, New York, USA municipality of that name. It was originally built in 1940 as the village's new post office, a Works Progress Administration project. President Franklin D. Roosevelt took a personal interest in the project, as he already had with new post offices in other Dutchess County communities. He wanted it to be built of fieldstone in the style of many Dutch colonial houses in the Hudson Valley, and chose the Brouier-Mesier House in the village as the model for its design. R. Stanley Miller, a local architect who had already designed the similar Rhinebeck post office, was assigned the job. In 1989 the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It had already been a contributing property to the Wappingers Falls Historic District, added to the Register five years earlier. The U.S. Postal Service has since had to move to a larger building a few blocks away on East Main. The village moved most of its functions here and built a new wing " clapboard, not stone, but otherwise consistent with the original design " on the rear of the building to house its police department.