Wampanoag MillsEdit profile
Wampanoag Mills is an historic textile mill site located at 420 Quequechan Street in Fall River, Massachusetts.
The Wampanoag Mills company was formed in 1871 for the manufacture of cotton textiles. Mill No. 1 was built on Quequechan Street in 1872 from native Fall River granite. Mill No. 2 was constructed in 1877, with access from Alden Street, increasing total capacity to 45,500 spindles. The mills were steam-powered. An attached weave shed was also added to Mill No. 1.
The mills closed in 1929.
The site was added to the National Historic Register in 1983.
Since the 1980s, Mill No. 1 has housed various retail and factory outlet stores. Mill No. 2 formerly contained Fall River Knitting Mills (later known as Northeast Knitting Mills).
On the evening of April 16, 2010, a fire of suspicious origin broke out in a storage building next to the mills. The building is currently being converted into apartments.