Walney Bridge
Walney Bridge (officially Jubilee Bridge) is a bridge in Cumbria, the United Kingdom that connects Barrow-in-Furness (population 60,000) to Walney Island (population 13,000).

Talks began in 1897 to how feasible the construction of a bridge connecting Barrow to Walney would be. At the time, Walney residents where frustrated by the fact that they had to use a ferry to traverse the Walney Channel, and they also saw it as an opportunity to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. When the bridge was finally approved many companies fought for the building contract with Sir William Arrol & Co winning it. Construction of the £175,000 (in that time) bridge began in mid-1905 and was finally opened by Barrow mayor Mrs. T.F. Taylor on 30 July 1908. For 27 years Walney bridge was a toll bridge until the 4 April 1935 the late Queen Mother officially renamed it Jubilee Bridge to mark the silver jubilee of King George V of the United Kingdom, as recorded on a plaque on the bridge, and handed it to the townspeople. During World War II, the Bascule bridge was lifted every night to ensure that anyone who made landfall on Walney where unable to reach Barrow by crossing the bridge and reaching its shipbuilding facilities. The bridge is now over 100 years old, and in 2008 Cumbria County Council spent £1 million on renovating the bridge and repainting it for its centenary celebration.

Centenary Celebrations
The bridge recently celebrated its 100th anniversary with significant renovation and a night of fireworks.