Wallace Chapel AME Zion ChurchEdit profile
Wallace Chapel AME Zion Church is located at the intersection of Broad and Orchard streets in Summit, New Jersey, United States. It was built in 1937, the first black church in that city. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2007. The congregation was first established in 1923, and met at the local YMCA. Two years later, The Rev. Florence Spearing Randolph, a former suffragette and activist, was appointed temporary pastor. In 1928 the church acquired its first building, a small house on the church's current site with enough space on the first floor to seat a hundred people at services. Randolph's temporary pastorship became more permanent, and the church grew. In 1936 the house was razed for the construction of the current building, which was completed and opened to parishioners the following year. Randolph continued as pastor until her retirement in 1946.