Waldwic
Waldwic, also known as the William M. Spencer, III, House, is a historic Carpenter Gothic plantation house and historic district located on the west side of Alabama Highway 69, south of Gallion, Alabama. Waldwic is included in the Plantation Houses of the Alabama Canebrake and their Associated Outbuildings multiple property submission. The main house and plantation outbuildings were added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 22, 1994.

History
The main house was built in 1840 for Robert Gracey and then was expanded and renovated in the Gothic Revival style in 1852. His widow, M. S. Gracey, remarried after Robert's death to Willis Bocock in 1856. The 1860 United States Census of Marengo County indicates that Bocock owned 127 slaves in that year. The Waldwic property was originally within Marengo County, but this portion of Marengo was added to Hale County upon its creation in 1867. Robert Gracey's granddaughter, Bertha Gracey Steele, married at Waldwic in 1889 to William Micajah Spencer. He was a lawyer and was elected to the Alabama Senate in 1901. The house is one of only about twenty Gothic Revival residential structures remaining in Alabama. Other historic Gothic Revival residences in the area include Ashe Cottage in Demopolis and Fairhope Plantation in Uniontown.

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com