Villa RuscianoEdit profile
Description and history
Set in a hilly area on the outskirts of Florence, the Villa has one of the most magnificent views over the city. The name is derived from the area, once a prominent agricultural estate. The villa was cited by Franco Sacchetti in Trecentonovelle, and once belonged to the Salviati family. In the mid-15th century, Luca Pitti bought the estate and had it restructured by Filippo Brunelleschi, requesting that the building should demonstrate the extent of his wealth and his personal prestige. (He at that time was one of the richest citizens of Florence.) Unfortunately the original project was not fully completed (it would have been one of the greatest Florentine villas of that time). Of this project only the huge staircase and decorative parts of the inner courtyard and interiors remain. Inside there is also a della Robbia sculpture with cherubs, and some precious stone structures such as portals and fireplaces. The garden has a panoramic terrace and there are big cypress trees planted. The Villa was renowned to possess a huge variety of plants originating from all over the world. It was in these gardens that Francesco Franceschi Fenzi first discovered his passion for plants. In 1472 it was bought by the Florentine Republic and granted as residence to Federico III da Montefeltro, Duke of Urbino, Captain General of the armed forces. The villa had several other owners. Among other prestigious Florentine owners was Emanuele Fenzi and his family, later bequeathed to Leone and Ida Fenzi.
- Il Posseso di Rusciano
- Il “Quinto Liceo Scientifico” - Giovanni Giovannini
- Un Ricordo del Liceo “Gobetti” - Mercurio Candela