Verona Apartments

The Verona Apartments are located at 92 West Ferry Street in Detroit, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.

History

The Verona Apartments were built in 1896 by the Detroit firm of Malcomson and Higginbotham. The original layout of the apartment building had 16 luxury suites. When home ownership became easier in the 1930s, demand for this type of suite apartment declined, and in 1945 the building was reconfigured to include 26 smaller apartments.

Architecture

The Verona Apartments consist of a five-story central section with flanking three-story wings. The base of the structure is stone; the main body is built of brick, originally orange but now painted gray. The entryway is arched, echoing the arch on the fourth floor, and the building name is embedded in the arche curvature. There are interesting decorative touches throughout the exterior of the building, including the friezework above the first-floor windows, the bowed structures flanking the entrance, and inlays above the first and fifth floors.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com