Ventura County Courthouse
The Ventura County Courthouse, also known as Ventura City Hall, located in Ventura, California, was designed in 1910 by one of the early pioneers of architecture in Southern California: Albert C. Martin, Sr. It now serves as the Ventura City Hall.

Architecture and design
When Albert C. Martin's plans were unveiled in 1911, the Los Angeles Times reported that the "Roman Doric order" design would be "one of the most imposing public structures in California, and a credit to the seat of government of the prosperous lima bean section." Built in 1912 at a cost of $225,000, the courthouse was dedicated in July 1913. The well-proportioned is an outstanding example of neo-classical architecture, a style prevalent in the United States at the turn of the 20th century. It is also rich in details, including terra cotta ornamentation in the form of scrolls and floral designs, and friar's faces on the outer walls. The central chamber that originally housed the courtroom, and later became the home of the City Council, features dark maogany woodwork, a stained-glass skylight ( pictured at left) and arched windows.

Preservation and subsequent usage
In 1968, the courthouse was condemned as an earthquake risk, but the city bought the structure and spent $3.4 million to renovate it as Ventura's City Hall. In June 1989, actor-director Jack Nicholson filmed " The Two Jakes" (sequel to "Chinatown") at the building. In 1991, the Los Angeles Times said of the landmark structure: "Probably no local structure is more visually and symbolically dramatic, or as steeped in local legend. Perched like a lordly, lavish manor at the juncture of California and Poli streets, it overlooks the old town and the blue Pacific beyond -- a constant reminder of the past."

Historic designation
The courthouse is registered as California Historical Landmark #847 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NPS-71000211). Added to the National Register in August 1971, it was only the second building in Ventura County to receive the designation.