Venetian CausewayEdit profile
The Venetian Causeway crosses Biscayne Bay between the City of Miami on the mainland and City of Miami Beach on a barrier island in southern Florida. The man-made Venetian Islands and non- bridge portions of the causeway were created by materials which came from the dredging of the bay. The Venetian Causeway follows the original route of the Collins Bridge, a wooden 2.5 mi (4 km) long structure built in 1913 by John S. Collins and Carl G. Fisher which opened up the barrier island for unprecedented growth and development. The causeway has one toll plaza (administered by the Miami-Dade County Public Works department) on Biscayne Island, the westernmost Venetian Island. The toll for an automobile is $1.50 (US). The causeway has two bascule bridges. At the Downtown/Western Beginning of the causeway travelers are greeted by two columns vertically saying "VENETIAN WAY" along with a sign indicating that there is a weight limit . At the South Beach/Eastern Terminus, drivers must choose whether to go north onto Dade Boulevard or eastbound onto 17th Street to Ocean Drive, Collins Ave/A1A, Lincoln Road, City Hall, The Convention Center, Jackie Gleason Theater and the beach . The Venetian Causeway was re-dedicated in 1999 after the completion of a $29 million restoration and replacement project. A popular use of the causeway is for exercising, which includes both jogging and bicycling.