Velázquez 29, MadridEdit profile
Built around 1920, Velázquez Street building 29 is an example of the imposing houses that were made in the wake of the Madrid expansion eastwards, was later called Barrio de Salamanca.
A mid-nineteenth century, Madrid was a city drowned in a village house and no services. Housing shortages led to a shocking rise in rents and circulation problems carriages were pressing. But above all, lack of hygiene due to overcrowding joined the reasons that led to a Royal Decree of 1857, under the regency of María Cristina, which allows extension of the city to the north, south and mainly to the east.
The project was commissioned architect Seville Carlos María de Castro, who designed an octagonal frame extension in the style of Eixample, but also looking at cities like London, New York and, above all, Paris.Since its initial conception, the expansion was aimed at residential area for the aristocracy and gentry, with buildings of no more than three floors, interior gardens and a multitude of gardens, which were subsequently modified. It was José de Salamanca and
Mayor, a very clever businessman of the era, considered the first major real estate investor known who bought the first license of urbanization of the land: nearly one million square meters.
The climate of political instability, successive governments and institutional changes led to a delay in the works, which did not begin until 1864.
Originally, the street was a landscaped walkway Velazquez named Elysian Fields, which concurred with an influx of new residents. However, and in 1881 went into decline and was soon replaced by the current street Velazquez, who was executed in parts. Hence, the buildings they occupy the first leg to Goya were built between 1981 and 1920.
The Street building that now houses 29 Velázquez Casa Decor urban continues the pattern proposed by José María de Castro, but of the three initial stories were passed to four. The building of 4,000 m2, consisting of eight flats (two per plant), about 500 square meters each, a landscaped courtyard, large roof terrace, a wide area facing the main street and a comfortable area of servitude to inside the building. But the most novel were the services enjoyed by the property, unique in Madrid: water and electricity. Materials and decorative details were also heavy, but austere, fine parquet wood, glass galleries, ceilings decorated with elaborate plaster ...
As for the facade responds to the aesthetic of classical romantic and elegant, with simple decor, which gives a homogeneous and stylish. However, the real estate of these buildings lies in the breadth and brightness of its rooms, which do not spare a little, and now recovered all its brilliance and splendor.