VanDyke-Libby HouseEdit profile
The VanDyke-Libby House, located at 612 Vermillion Street in Hastings, Minnesota is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in 1868 by William J. Van Dyke, a banker and merchant. In 1880 the home was bought by Rowland C. Libby who was part-owner of a saw mill and door and sash factory. He lived there until 1911; in 1914 the building was converted to a sanitarium. Originally known as Hope Sanitarium, its name was later changed to St. Raphael's Hospital, which in 1929 moved to the Thompson-Fasbender House.
The building's Second Empire architecture is reflected in its mansard roof and imposing size. The original cost to build the house was an exorbitant $25,000.