Van Wickle House
The Van Wickle House is an historical house located at 1289 Easton Avenue in Somerset, New Jersey. It was built in 1722 by Symen Van Wickle aka Symen Van Wicklin.

Evert Van Wickle
Evert Van Wickle was a carpenter from the Netherlands who emigrated to New Amersfoort, which is now Flatlands, Brooklyn, and married Elizabeth Van Liew. Around 1700, Evert purchased almost 800 acres (3.2 km 2) of land on the Raritan River in Somerset, New Jersey. Evert had a son: Symen Van Wickle (c1700-1754) who married Geradina Couwenhoven (1705-?).

Symen Van Wickle
Symen built his home facing the Raritan River in 1722. The location was called the "upper fording place". Behind the house was the link between Middlebush, New Jersey and Raritan Landing, New Jersey called "Old Middlebush Road" (now DeMott Lane in Somerset, New Jersey). Evert and Geradina had the following children: Elsje Van Wickle (c1723-?); Evert Van Wickle (c1726-?); Nicholas Van Wickle (c1728-?); Mattje Van Wickle (c1730-?); Seytje Van Wicklin (1732-?); Anne Van Wickle (c1734-?); Dinah Van Wickle (1734-?); and Mary Van Wickle (c1738-?).

Delaware and Raritan Canal
Around 1835, the Delaware and Raritan Canal was built between the Raritan River and the Van Wickle House.

Preservation
In 1976 the house was put up for sale and was eyed by developers until a grassroots group of concerned citizens organized to protect the historic house. "The Meadows" was a name long associated with the house so this group took the name The Meadows Foundation for the name of their organization. Through fundraising and a Green Acres grant they were able to acquire and preserve the house. The Meadows Foundation runs programming at the Van Wickle house such as their Candlelight Concert and Fireside Chats series as well as seasonal celebrations such as Sinterklaas (Dutch Santa) Festival and, in cooperation the Franklin Township Parks and Recreation Department, programs such as the Pumpkin Patch Halloween Celebration and the Bunny Jamboree. Nominal donations accepted at events help with maintenance and restoration costs. The Symen Van Wickle House was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 4, 1973 as The Meadows, building #73001134.