University of Minnesota ArmoryEdit profile
The University of Minnesota Armory is a building on the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities campus. The Armory was constructed in 1896 after the previous space for military training on the campus burnt in a fire in 1894. The facility served as the primary home for the Minnesota Golden Gophers men's basketball team as well as the University of Minnesota Marching Band after its construction. The basketball team moved to the Kenwood Armory in Downtown Minneapolis in 1925 while the band moved to the newly completed Music Education Building in 1922.Fielding H. Yost, University of Michigan football coach, forgot the Little Brown Jug, one of the oldest college football traveling trophies, in the locker rooms of the Armory in 1903. The Armory was also the facility used for the University of Minnesota physical education department until 1935. The school's football team played some of their early games on the open field next to the Armory.
It is a contributing property in the University of Minnesota Old Campus Historic District, a historic district that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Currently, it is used as the classrooms and office space of the University's three ROTC units, and offices for the University's program for High School students, with the gymnasium being available for campus activities.