University of Exeter Halls of Residence

Edit profile
University of Exeter Halls of Residence
The University of Exeter Halls of Residence in the city of Exeter, Devon, UK, have just under 4,000 student residential places, including 2,190 in self-catering purpose-built flats and houses and 1,777 in catered accommodation.

Exeter Halls
Exeter Halls comprises Hope Hall, Lopes Hall, Kilmorie Hall, Pennsylvania Court, Randsom Pickard, Lazenby and their annexes. James Owen Court is also a part of Exeter Halls, although it is self catered, and therefore not generally considered. The combined student total is somewhere in the region of 700 students. Annual turnover is estimated to be somewhere in the region of £30 000, at least half of which is spent solely on the Exeter Halls Summer Ball- an event for which Exeter Halls is renowned. Presidents Bjorn Friden 2005/2006 Llwelyn Morris 2006/2007 Edward Holt 2007/2008 Charlie Griffin 2010/2011 Both the current and incoming Guild Presidents are old-Exeter Hallsians

Pennsylvania Court
Pennsylvania Court (Penny C) was finished in 2004. In contrast to the traditional physique of the rest of Exeter Halls, Pennsylvania Court takes a more modern stance on university life, in both its appearance and facilities. It contains en-suite accommodation including balconies, heated towel rails and double beds. Its population is of around 180 students. Pennsylvania Court is generally the most oversubscribed Hall on campus, boasting superior accommodation, convenient location, beautiful vistas and a great selection of people.

Hope Hall
Hope Hall, originally opened in 1915 as an all girls' residence and named Hartwell House, accommodates around 60 students. The Hall was then re opened and re named as Hope Hall in 1925 by the Duke and Dutchess of York after Helena Hope, due to her generous donations to the Hall and Helena Hope's painting also hangs in the main foyer. The hall contains a TV room, laundry facilities and a bar called 'The Badger' (in use intermittently as of 2010). The Hall is a catered residence with a small kitchenette on each floor. Hope Hall, until recently, had an operating dining room in which its annexe buildings, Lazenby, Byrne House (now an Egenis office) and Montefiore (although now derelict), all dined in. Now the room is used as a social space, particular for dance societies. Hope Hall was visited by Queen Mary in 1938. Hope hall has the reputation of having a "family" atmosphere due to the small size of the old traditional building. Hope Hall is made up of three converted family homes with picturesque grounds, just across the lawn from its only annexe that is still standing as a student residence, Lazenby, which accommodates around 18 students. Both halls are listed properties with beautiful features, such as original fireplaces, antique wall hangings and ceiling decorations. Hope Hall is located in an ideal location on Streatham Campus, with just a ten minute walk to the centre of campus and the city centre, along with smaller shops near by.

Lopes Hall
Lopes (pronounced "Lopez") Hall was opened, by United States Ambassador Robert Bingham on 25 October 1933, for women students only. It consists of a main building and two annexes. The main building is composed of the Old House (Nunnery) and the Main Wing. Lopes Hall was purpose-built as student accommodation. This purpose-built house now accommodates both male and female first year students with shared bathrooms and spacious rooms. Lopes Hall presents itself as a centre point of Exeter Halls life with the Lopes building containing the main Exeter Halls reception, an inviting common room and also the main reception for Exeter Halls as a whole. On top of this, Lopes Hall houses around 100 students and is notorious for its friendly and family-like atmosphere. Moreover, Lopes Hall contains a well stocked and slightly rustic library which provides a perfect work place for studious residents and procrastinating Lopesians. Such literary masterpieces as Chaucer, and the Korean Economy 1950-60 can be found in this homely library facility. With close proximity to dining facilities and a relaxed yet vibrant atmosphere, Lopes Hall stands strong amongst its fellow halls of residence.

Ransom Pickard
Ransom Pickard was built in the 1960s but completely refurbished in the summer of 2008. It is affectionately known by all as 'Randy P'. Ransom Pickard is separated into two different blocks, A and B, joined by a central staircase. These blocks are in turn separated into three floors, each of which has space for 16 people. There are 4 double rooms to a floor and 8 single rooms. Ransom Pickard has single beds, a desk, wardrobe and sink to each room and since the refurbishment now falls under the category of 'single enhanced' in terms of accommodation. While less aesthetically pleasing than Pennsylvania Court, Lopes or Hope, Ransom Pickard is known for its friendly communal atmosphere because of the unlocked corridors and square setup of the floors, encouraging a happy social environment.

Birks Grange
Birks Grange, formerly Birks Halls, completed a redevelopment over the 2005/2006 academic year with the residential block being completely rebuilt and the central block being redesigned and renovated. The first students to live in the newly rebuilt halls moved in in September 2006. Birks Grange now encompasses self catered Birks Village and the catered central block. The colours for Birks Grange is Blue, whilst that of Moberly House is Green.

The Hall Committee
The main motto is "Together we stand", whilst each hall has a slogan that identifies itself. The slogan for Birks Grange is currently "Best legs on Campus" - due to Cardiac Hill. The slogan for Moberly House is "Last one standing", which refers to the last remaining hall of the recently demolished Duryard Halls - the last year that Duryard was fully functioning, before Murray, Hetherington and Jessie Montgomery houses were pulled down and Moberly house became part of Birks, was 2005/2006.

New Halls
Works to build en-suite self-catered accommodation on the hills opposite Birks Grange and the green area between the central block and Birks Grange to accommodate for more than 800 students took place over 2009/2010. In February the developers cut through a major power line, terminating all power from the Refectory, to the Birks and Moberly Houses. Students were evacuated and dined in Holland Hall, not being allowed to return until 10pm. Both halls ran on generators for the night, before being reconnected the following morning.

Holland Hall
Holland Hall is named after Sir Geoffrey Holland, the Vice-Chancellor of the University who retired in 2002. It is one of the newest and largest halls, which opened in September 2004. It boasts fantastic panoramic views of the surrounding Devon hills and its reputed to be the nicest hall at the University of Exeter, rivalled only by Pennsylvania Court, noted both for its superior atmosphere and living environment. With 406 en suite rooms Holland Hall provides a comfortable and luxurious first year at University. Presidents: Holland Hall has had five presidents all of whom have accomplished a great deal. The President is expected to up hold the rules and regulations of the University to its students, but also be in charge of welfare. The President is the face of the hall and is in charge of the Hall committee. Regular meetings between hall management and committee take place in order to create the best University experience for the student. The total expenditure of the Holland Hall committee is estimated to be around £25,000 and all of this money is raised by students and used for students. While Holland is one of the more expensive halls of residence it is able to throw fantastic events due to its high revenue from the student body! Richard Stearn 2006/2007 Edward Swift 2007/2008 Tom Abel Smith 2008/2009 Anthony Mangnall 2009/2010 Alexander Thomason 2010/2011 In 2009 Richard Stearn led a successful campaign to become President of the Exeter University Guild.

Mardon Hall

Mardon Hall Today
Today, in 2011 Mardon Hall provides accommodation for a total of 106 students, approximately half men and half women. Approximately half of the rooms in Mardon are shared rooms and the other half are single rooms.

History of Mardon Hall
Designed in a 'country house' style, Mardon Hall was opened in 1933 and extensively refurbished in 1996. It was the University College of the South West's first purpose-built hall of residence. This was 22 years before the University gained its charter, becoming the University of Exeter, in 1955. Mardon Hall was financed by the College Appeal and EJ Mardon, who donated £25,000 towards the cost of building the Hall and after whom it was named. One of the original notable features of Mardon Hall was the wooden hut used as a dining hall right until shortly after Holland Hall was built, due to the University College's lack of funds at the time of Mardon's construction. In early planning against the outbreak of war, the Government indicated a wish to use Mardon Hall as a hospital. In the event, it continued in use for student accommodation until 1943, when it was taken over by the American Red Cross as a rest centre for American troops. Interestingly, a wartime German map, held by the Devon Record Office, has the adjacent Reed Hall and the University's Washington Singer Laboratories marked as military targets, but not Mardon. Perhaps the Germans too thought Mardon would be useful for billeting troops in the event of invasion. The Hall was returned to student use in 1945. For its first 53 years, the Hall accommodated men only. Women arrived in 1986, apparently by default, when "too many" women applied for University accommodation, but "not enough" men. The late Dr Frank Oliver, Warden for 33 years to 1997, was persuaded to countenance the replacement of the traditional benches in the Dining Room with upholstered chairs, as a 'temporary measure'. The Mardon Bar was known as "The Beaver", although it has been out of action since 2007. Mardon Hall is known for its association with the 'Harry Potter' books, due to it being the inspiration for J K Rowling's 'Gryffindor House'. KEY EVENTS IN MARDON HISTORY:
  • 1933 Mardon Hall, Streatham Drive, was opened. Designed by E Vincent Harris, funded by the College Appeal and EJ Mardon, who gave £25,000 towards the cost of its building.
  • 1943 Taken over by the American Red Cross as a rest centre and Psychological Hospital for American troops.
  • 1945 Returned to student use.
  • 1966 In the Trinity Term, Mardon was closed for electrical work. Students and staff were moved to the then new Haldon House, at Birks, the hall of residence at the bottom of Cardiac Hill.
  • 1968 Cotley became an annexe of Mardon Hall.
  • 1978 The bathrooms in Mardon Hall were redesigned to create an additional nine study bedrooms, three by Autumn 1978, and the remaining six by Autumn 1979.
  • 1986 Mardon for the first time accommodated female students as well as male.
  • 1987 Cotley ceased to be an annex to Mardon Hall, being taken for the Department of Continuing Adult Education.
  • 1989 Higher Lodge was used as an annexe to Mardon Hall.
  • 1992 The south wing of Mardon Hall was converted from being part staff accommodation to all student accommodation.
  • 1993 Higher Lodge, annex to Mardon Hall, was closed at Easter, to make way for the construction of the Peter Chalk Centre. The rooms of Mardon Hall were renumbered during the summer.
  • 1996 Room 21 of Mardon Hall was refurbished at Easter and the top floor during the summer vacation.
  • 1997 The first and second floors of Mardon were refurbished during the summer vacation.
  • 1999 St Cross was closed and subsequently sold.


Self Catered

Lafrowda
  • Lafrowda is the cheapest of the Streatham campus accommodations.
  • Llewellyn Mews is self catered accommodation situated just off-campus on King Edward Street. Like Birks Grange, residents use Cardiac Hill to get to lectures.
There are other self catered residences both on and off campus which include:
  • Bonhay House
  • Clydesdale Court
  • Clydesdale Rise
  • James Owen Court
  • King Edward Court
  • King Edward Studio
  • Nash Grove
  • St Germans (University Owned)
  • Rowe House (University Owned)
  • Point Exe (Signpost Homes)
  • Northernhay
  • Northfield (UNITE)


Former Halls

Thomas Hall
Thomas Hall is a currently disused hall. It was built as Great Duryard House, in about 1690 by Sir Thomas Jeffers, but was renamed Thomas Hall in 1936. The Manor of Duryard was originally owned by the city of Exeter, being sold off in the 17th Century. Great Duryard House was purchased by the University just before the Second World War. Thomas Hall has not been used as a hall of residence for some years, however currently the small lodge behind it is inhabited.

Duryard Halls
Duryard Halls provided accommodation for around 650 students. These halls are famous for being the residence of Harry Potter author JK Rowling, the radical poet Edward Andrews - winner of youth script jam 2005 - and pop singer and winner of Pop Idol, Will Young. Will Young lived in Hetherington House. Duryard Halls were spread over four houses, all of which surround the old Duryard House and its drive:
  • Jessie Montgomery
  • Hetherington
  • Murray
  • Moberly
Each House was named after key figures in the history of the university. In the refectory the long room used to have tables in rows with an elevated stage upon which the resident tutors and senior members of the house used to sit. The walls were lined with paintings of the men and women after whom Duryard's four houses were named.

Crossmead Hall
Crossmead was located across the river at the top of Dunsford Hill. In the 1980s the lower part of the grounds on the corner of Barley Lane and Dunsford Hill was developed as Cadogan Court, a nursing home. Crossmead was closed as a hall and used by the University as a conference centre. This closed in 2006. There was controversy in autumn 2005 when the University applied to build 36 flats and 54 houses on the site; proposals that were bitterly opposed by the local residents.

St Luke's Campus
All accommodation on St luke's campus shares a single halls committee, and is often considered as simply "St Luke's halls" by non-residents.
  • College House
  • South Cloisters
  • New Nancherow
  • Old Nancherow


Rowancroft
  • Rowancroft mews
  • Rowancroft Court


Cornwall Campus

Current Halls
  • Glasney Parc
  • Glasney View


Former Cornwall Halls
  • Beringer House - Beringer was a hall of Residence for University of Exeter fresher students at the Camborne School of Mines in Camborne, Cornwall, until the school moved to the Tremough Campus, Penryn in 2004 . Beringer House was a two-storey building constructed from Cornish granite and concrete. The building is named after one of the school's founding fathers, J Beringer.
  • MacWilliam - was a hall of Residence for University of Exeter graduate students at the Camborne School of Mines in Camborne, Cornwall, until the school moved to the Tremough Campus Penryn in 2004 .


Building Activity

  • removed 2 media
    about 2 years ago via OpenBuildings.com