The University Heights Bridge crosses the Harlem River, connecting West 207th Street in the Inwood neighborhood of Manhattan to West Fordham Road in the University Heights section of the Bronx. The bridge is operated and maintained by the New York City Department of Transportation. The bridge carries two lanes of traffic in each direction, along with a sidewalk on the south side of the bridge. It may have once carried the now-decommissioned New York State Route 9X. The first swing bridge on this site had been a previous incarnation of the Broadway Bridge that was being replaced by a new double-level bridge. In June 1906, the old bridge was floated down the river and placed on a newly-constructed center pier. After all the approaches and other construction were completed, the bridge opened to traffic on January 8, 1908. The designer was Alfred Pancoast Boller. A new bridge was constructed between 1989 and 1992 to replace the decaying previous structure. On June 12, 2008, the New York City Bridge Centennial Commission organized a parade to mark the centennial anniversary of the bridge. The event was attended by Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrión, Jr. and Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer.

Public transportation
The University Heights Bridge carries the Bx12 bus route operated by MTA New York City Transit, which operates as a local and as a form of bus rapid transit branded as Select Bus Service. The average weekday ridership of the Bx12 bus route is 48,030. On the Bronx side, the bridge provides access to the University Heights Metro-North station on the Hudson Line via its pedestrian walkway.


2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 9 media and uploaded a media file
    tatz univhtsbr
    about 4 years ago via
  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via