United Spirit ArenaEdit profile
United Spirit Arena is a 15,020-seat multi-purpose arena in Lubbock, Texas. The arena opened in 1999. It is home to the Texas Tech Red Raiders and Lady Raiders basketball teams and volleyball team. United Supermarkets, a Lubbock based supermarket chain with numerous stores in West Texas, was a major contributor. Thus, it was granted naming rights. Prior to the building of the arena, the teams played in the nearby City Bank Coliseum.
- The first basketball game was played in the arena on November 19, 1999. Texas Tech lost 68-60 to Indiana, whose legendary coach Bob Knight would later become the head coach of Texas Tech's men's basketball team.
- Elton John's performance on February 8, 2000 was the first concert to be held at United Spirit Arena.
- In the summer of 2002, Britney Spears brought her Dream Within a Dream Tour to the arena. After the second song, "(You Drive Me) Crazy", a power outage occurred and the rest of the concert had to be canceled. Spears, along with her tour manager, came onstage to explain the situation to the sold out crowd. Due to Spears being overbooked for the entire tour, there was no time to reschedule the concert.
- United Spirit Arena hosted WWE RAW (the first RAW ever to be hosted in Lubbock) in May 2006.
- On January 1, 2007, a 70-68 defeat of New Mexico by Texas Tech marked the 880th total win for Bob Knight, making him the winningest coach in men's college basketball history.
- On May 4, 2007, the Houston Comets with former Lady Raiders Sheryl Swoopes and Erin Grant played a WNBA exhibition game against the Detroit Shock with Plenette Pierson, also a former Lady Raider.
- On October 14th, 2011, Taylor Swift will make her first ever appearance at the United Spirit Arena with her Speak Now World Tour. Tickets for the show were sold out within twenty minutes after going on sale, the fastest sell-out in United Spirit Arena history.