Uley Long BarrowEdit profile
Uley Long Barrow, also known locally as "Hetty Pegler's Tump", is a Neolithic burial mound, near the village of Uley, Gloucestershire, England. Although typically described as a long barrow, the mound is actually a transected gallery grave. It was probably built before 3000 BC. It is about 180 feet (55 m) in length and contains a stone built central passage with two chambers on either side and another at the end. The earthen mound is surrounded by a dry-stone revetting wall. To the east of the mound is a deep forecourt. The barrow was archaeologically excavated in 1821, revealing the remains of 15 skeletons and a later, intrusive Roman age burial above the northeast chamber. It was excavated again in 1854. The mound is named after Hester, wife of the 17th century landowner Henry Pegler. Hester died in 1694, and Henry in 1695. It is clearly sign-posted from the side of the nearby Crawley Hill ( B4066 road) between Uley and Nympsfield. Access is by means of a grass track towards the wood and then a small footpath through a gap in the hedge. The barrow lies in the corner of the adjoining field next to the wood. The entrance is currently blocked off, internal chambers cannot currently be accessed and will not be opened until essential health and safety work is carried out.