Ukrainian Club BuildingEdit profile
Building of Pedagogical Museum is a historical building located at 57 Volodymyr Street, in Kyiv, Ukraine and constructed in the times of Russian Empire in 1909-1911 by Pavlo Alyoshyn. It is located across from the building of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine at 54 Volodymyr Street.Scope
It was used for many purposes, namely as the meeting place of the Ukrainian Club, Rodyna, and the Ukrainian Scientific Society. In addition, the Ukrainian Central Rada, a representative body formed in 1917 in Kyiv to govern the Ukrainian People's Republic, was occupying the building since March 17, 1917 until April 29, 1918 with a short break during the Soviet occupation in winter of 1918. Until 1917 it was a place of the Pedagogical Museum which was renewed here in 1977. In 1930s it somewhat changed its appearance and by the design of its creator was rebuild into the museum of Lenin which was here until 1982. The first floor of the building now houses the escalators leading to the Kiev Metro station, Zoloti Vorota. The building is a property of Kyiv City. Along with a few municipal offices located there, a part of the building is currently subleased for office space by a set of political, civil, and small business organizations."Ukrainian Club" meeting place
The Ukrainian Club (Ukrainian: Український клуб, tranlsit.: Ukrayins'kyi klub), was a union of national public figures of Ukraine headed by Mykola Lysenko. The club's meetings were attebded by the Ukrainian writers Ivan Nechuy-Levytsky, Lesya Ukrainka, her mother Olena Pchilka, Maxim Rylsky - then a gymnasium pupil, and the actors Mariya Zankovetska and Mykola Sadovsky. In addition, Mykhailo Kotsiubynsky, Panas Myrny, and Ivan Franko visited the club during their stays in Kyiv.
In 1912, the Kiev City Council had closed the Ukrainian Club, accusing it of subversive activity. But soon, another Ukrainian society, Rodyna, was arranged in the same building where the former Ukrainian Club met. When the city's administration gave permission to organize the Rodyna club, it was assumed that the stress mark was on the first syllable meant motherland, Rodina. However, the members of the club always called it Rodyna (translated as family in Ukrainian).Bibliography
- Malikenaite, Ruta (2003). Touring Kyiv. Baltia Druk. p. 50. ISBN 966-96041-3-3.