U.S. CustomhouseEdit profile
The former U.S. Customhouse in Niagara Falls, New York was a Custom House for the United States' side of the Niagara River. It was built in 1863 and served served inspectors for the Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge, Niagara Cantilever Bridge, Whirlpool Rapids Bridge, and Michigan Central Railway Bridge at various points in its history. With Niagara Falls receiving the second highest amounts of American imports at one point, the customhouse was once a very busy post for its inspectors. Remaining in a US Customs capacity until the 1960s, it was sold to several different commercial owners before it was abandoned in 1998.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, the building is now owned by the city of Niagara Falls 2003. State and local governments plan on building a new multi-million dollar intermodal transportation center utilizing the original Custom House along with modern additions.
Slated to become the Niagara Falls International Railway Station, the rebuilding project consists of three phases, with a total estimated cost of $44 million. Construction on the project began in August 2010 and in October 2010, the US Department of Transportation released $16.5 million in funds from the TIGER program for work on the final phase of the International Station project. Once completed, the new station will replace the current Niagara Falls Amtrak Station and will also house U.S. Customs and Border Protection facilities.