Tyszkiewicz PalaceEdit profile
The Tyszkiewicz Palace (Polish: pałac Tyszkiewiczów w Warszawie), or Tyszkiewicz–Potocki Palace, is a palace at 32 Krakowskie Przedmieście in Warsaw, Poland.
It is one of the most beautiful neoclassical structures in the city.History
The palace was built by Field Hetman of Lithuania, Ludwik Tyszkiewicz. Construction began in 1785, initially to plans by Stanisław Zawadzki, and was finished in 1792 in Neoclassical style to a design by Jan Chrystian Kamsetzer.
In 1840 the palace was bought by the Potocki family.
In the interwar period, it was home to Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego and later to the Polish Academy of Literature.
Burned in 1944, after World War II the palace was rebuilt and is now shared by the Academy of Literature and Warsaw University.
The palace's relatively modest west façade, on Krakowskie Przedmieście, is embellished with some fine stuccowork, and the central balcony is supported by four elegant stone Atlantes carved in 1787 by André Le Brun.