Tyle Mill LockEdit profile
Tyle Mill Lock (grid reference SU626691) is a lock situated near the village of Sulhamstead on the Kennet and Avon Canal, England.
Tyle Mill Lock was built between 1718 and 1723 under the supervision of the engineer John Hore of Newbury, and this stretch of the river is now administered by British Waterways and known as the Kennet Navigation. It has a rise/fall of 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m).
The lock became derelict in the 1950s and then formed the head of the navigation from the River Thames. As a result British Waterways created a winding hole and installed a sanitary station in the old pillbox below the lock. It was restored in 1973 but remained out of commission until 1976 when work on locks further west had been completed.
Close to the lock are a wharf and swing bridge.