Turners Falls - Gill BridgeEdit profile
The Gill–Montague Bridge is a steel deck truss bridge crossing the Connecticut River in Massachusetts. It connects the Town of Gill with the village of Turners Falls in the Town of Montague. The bridge carries automobile and pedestrian traffic.History
According to Charles W. Whittlesey, there used to be a suspension bridge here when he saw it in 1934 and 1936.
The suspension bridge Whittlesey referred to was located about 1/4 mile above or east of the Turners Falls-Gill Bridge. It was known as the Upper or 'Red' Suspension Bridge. It stitched Turners Falls to Riverside (Gill), Mass. It was built in 1878 and removed in 1942 to regain materials for the war effort. Prior to the 'Red' Bridge' construction, Bissel's Ferry operated at this site. The bridge suffered the effects of the 1936 flood but withstood nature's fury. If not for the war recovery effort, the bridge would have met its demise as the Turners Falls-Gill Bridge would replace it. The 'Red' Bridge was 563 feet long. The piers for this bridge remain in place along the river banks.
The current structure began construction on May 17, 1937 and was completed in September 1938. The bridge was dedicated on Saturday, September 10, 1938. By 2010, the road deck of the bridge had become riddled with potholes and uneven pavement. A major renovation project began in summer 2010 and is expected to be completed in 2014 at an estimated cost of $40.7 million.Image gallery
Monument on the Gill, Massachusetts side of the Gill–Montague Bridge, with the text "CAPTAIN WILLIAM TURNER WITH 145 MEN SURPRISED AND DESTROYED OVER 300 INDIANS ENCAMPED AT THIS PLACE MAY 19, 1676"
The Gill side of the Turners Falls dam shows the trio of Taintor Gates closed when this image was taken. With the dam closed, all the water from the Connecticut River is channeled through the Turners Falls Canal.
This is the plaque on the northeast corner of the bridge. Click on the image to get the text.
- Project status page